Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Beef Hor Fun

Sick again. Either my immune system has gone out of whack, or the weather here is getting from bad to worse. At least I had a good weekend :)

Last Friday, Rz, JL and I went shopping. (JL is going through a self-renewing phase. He now uses an Origins mud mask and is scouting around for a good toner. Ah, metrosexual.) Bugis Junction was packed to the max. I'm not surprised if I caught something there. Everyone was eager to splurge and embark on their government-funded shopping sprees.

Saturday was the first non-completely-gloomy day I'd seen in weeks, with spangles of delightfully blue sky here and there. Mom's birthday. This year is the first year in seven years that I wasn't reluctant to get out of bed in the morning.

Decided to go to ECP with Rz to see if that famous beef hor fun place is still around, he's never been to the open air hawker centre before. I think the last time I was there was three years ago. I don't trust things to stay the same anymore.

So we went for a stroll. Took my camera along. But after Byron and Caloundra, ECP looks like an over-sized sandbox.

Wonderfully, as though I'd found an old friend, the stall was still there! It took me about 35 minutes to queue for it. But heck, I didn't come all the way to balk at the queue lol. And the beef hor fun as yummy as ever :x

I'm sure mom would have loved some, for she was a beef hor fun fan, more so than I am.

We had a very Singaporean dinner hee, and had a few good laughs. The guy next to us had ordered satay, but when it came, the malay boy was so dazed and confused. He was like," Er, $8, no $5.. no no $10." Then a few minutes later he came back and said it was $5.

LOL. The guy next to us also couldn't keep a straight face as he commanded the boy to go ask his boss. Then he burst out laughing along with us. Poor boy, I think he must have been working overly hard to earn some spare cash. He can't be more than 16.

There's something about sharing a laugh with a stranger. It's so different from the usual aloofness you get. When I was in Brisbane, it seemed relatively commonplace to smile or talk with a complete stranger. Here in Singapore it seems a social taboo to communicate with strangers unless absolutely necessary.

Maybe this is why people think Singaporeans are proud?

After dinner on Saturday we went back to Parkway Parade to catch the bus. The place really resembled a madhouse. Then we found out why - "Crazy Sales! 29-30 Apr" =.="

Guess some things don't change in Singapore.

On Sunday, we met R and YW for church. It actually felt good to sit in a sanctuary without disagreeing with what is being preached.

Pastor talked about "a listening heart" and why all Christians/churches read from the same Bible, but some Christians do not experience breakthroughs in their lives or in their relationships with those they love, and some churches never grow.

I thought of Fairfield. And I thought of dad, and my heart broke within me.

And then when I woke up sick on Monday. It's beginning to feel like every monday I fall sick, and then have to rush to get my assignments done by Friday.

*sigh*


- 2 May 2006 2:04pm -

No comments: